ICSA Member News May 2017
1. 2017 ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium
You are cordially invited to the 2017 ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium in Chicago!
The ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium will be held from Sunday, June 25 to Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at the Hilton Chicago Downtown in Chicago, Illinois. Please send any inquiry to Dr. Lanju Zhang ( Lanju.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Details are on the symposium website: http://bioinfo.stats.northwestern.edu/~icsa/ .
2. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the International Chinese Statistical Association (ICSA) and the International Statistical Institute (ISI)
To increase cooperation between the societies, promote the ICSA activities among the ISI and ISI Associations membership, and increase interaction at the regional level, in January 2017, the International Chinese Statistical Association (ICSA) and the International Statistical Institute (ISI) signed a memorandum of cooperation. Each party will be entitled to propose sessions for the conferences/symposiums/congresses that are sponsored by the other party. This MOU is effective as of February 1, 2017.
3. Announcement on the Change of ICSA Membership Fees
There has been no change on the regular fee for 16 years, and no change on lifetime membership for 7 years. The income from current membership fees can cover less than half of ICSA expenses. Unlike ASA, ENAR and IMS, current ICSA operations are mainly based on volunteers. Although ICSA pays IT and office staff, the payment is minimal and our IT needs much more investment to keep current support, let alone better support. The membership fee has been reviewed by the membership committee several times and the rate change has been discussed in the board of directors' meetings. ICSA board of directors has approved the following membership rates:
1. Regular 1-year membership fee: $80
2. Lifetime membership fee: $1,000
3. Student membership: free but without voting right nor hard copies of ICSA Bulletin.
The new rates will be effective on July 1, 2017.
4. 2017 ICSA China Conference: with focus on lifetime data
You are cordially invited to attend the 2017 ICSA China Conference: with focus on lifetime data. The conference organized by Jilin University will be held on July 2 - July 5, 2017 in Jilin City, Jilin Province, P.R. China. Professor L.J. Wei of Harvard University and Professor Jianqing Fan of Princeton University have kindly agreed to give plenary speeches. The conference will cover a wide range of topics in data science, especially lifetime data, and related fields. It will provide an excellent venue for scientific exchanges and possible research collaborations. Jilin City has a long history and many attractions and is pleasant to visit both in the summer and winter. It is the only city in China which shares the same name as the providence and has a rich national characteristic and 35 different ethnic groups, attracting a large number of Chinese and foreign tourists.
Early bird registration deadline is May 2. All invited speakers are required to register by May 28. You can also directly go to the registration website at
5. ICSA Springer Book Series in Statistics
The co-editors of ICSA Springer book series in statistics, Drs. Jiahua Chen and Din Chen, have reported that there are 8 books in the series now. If you plan to write books in the series, please contact Dr. Jiahua Chen ( email@example.com) or Dr. Din Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org). Four books in the ICSA Springer book series were published in 2016:
1) "Statistical Causal Inferences and Their Applications in Public Health Research" was published (edited by He, Hua, Wu, Pan, Chen, Ding-Geng (Din));
2) "New Developments in Statistical Modeling, Inference and Application" (edited by Jin, Zhezhen, Liu, Mengling, Luo, Xiaolong);
3) "Statistical Applications from Clinical Trials and Personalized Medicine to Finance and Business Analytics" (edited by Lin, J., Wang, B., Hu, X., Chen, K., Liu, R.);
4) "Advanced Statistical Methods in Data Science" (edited by Chen, D.-G., Chen, J., Lu, X., Yi, G., Yu, H.).
Two books (5-6) was published in 2017, and one book (7) will be published in 2017:
5) "Monte-Carlo Simulation-Based Statistical Modeling" (edited by Chen, Ding-Geng, Chen, John Dean);
6) "Phase II Clinical Development of New Drugs" (edited by Ting, N., Chen, D.-G., Ho, S., Cappelleri, J.C.).
7) "Biased Sampling, Over-identified Parameter Problems and Beyond" (edited by Qin, Jing)
Thanks to all authors who contributed to these books.
B. Sponsored and Co-Sponsored Journals
1. Statistica Sinica: Call for submissions for a special issue on "Big Data in Environmental Studies"
The environment has become increasingly important in recent years as pressures from human impacts and interactions are starting to be realized. This is not an isolated or a local issue. Most indicators suggest that global warming is already showing impacts throughout the world and extreme weather events have become commonplace. Furthermore, the impact of air pollution, such as smog and high PM2.5 measurements, on health and economy is once again a serious problem in developed and developing countries worldwide. In addition, by many accounts we are now in the midst of the sixth great species extinction event in the history of the planet. The processes underlying these challenges are complex, showing spatio-temporal structure, non-Gaussian error distributions, and multivariate interactions. Furthermore, understanding these challenges is both facilitated by and, paradoxically, limited by the increasing volumes of data that are being collected on the environment through remote sensing platforms, complex sensor networks, GPS movement and accelerometer data, and social network information. Indeed, these are "big data!" Many of the existing statistical methods to address problems with complex data structures require retooling in the presence of such massive data streams.
The goal of the proposed theme topic of "Big Data in Environmental Studies" is to encourage high-quality research on the theory and methods for analyzing big data related to the environment, and to put those papers in one place to facilitate further research. Both methodological and application papers are welcome.
All submissions will go through the rigorous review process of the journal in a timely manner, and interested authors should submit their manuscripts on the ScholarOne web of the journal. Please mark clearly that the manuscripts are for the theme topic of "Big Data in Environmental Studies." The deadline of the submission is December 31, 2017and the targeted publication is January 2019.
Statistica Sinica is delighted to have the following guest co-editors for this theme topic:
a) Professor Song-Xi Chen, Iowa State University and Peking University
b) Professor Ruey S. Tsay, University of Chicago
c) Professor Christopher Wikle, University of Missouri.
2. Statistic Sinica
Forthcoming papers' information is available at http://www3.stat.sinica.edu.tw/statistica/ . New issue (Volume 27, Number 2, April 2017) is published.
ICSA members have access to these articles via the "membership only area" at http://www.icsa.org. If you have any problems for subscription, please contact the editorial office through email@example.com.
3. Statistics in Biosciences
The published new issue is Volume 8 Number 2, in October 2016,
Recent accepted articles can be found at the journal website
A link for submitting your article to SIBS online is below
4. Statistics and Its Interface
Statistics and Its Interface is an international statistical journal promoting the interface between statistics and other disciplines including, but not limited to, biomedical sciences, geosciences, computer sciences, engineering, and social and behavioral sciences. The journal publishes high-quality articles in broad areas of statistical science, emphasizing substantive problems, sound statistical models and methods, clear and efficient computational algorithms, and insightful discussions of the motivating problems. Visit SII's web page at http://www.intlpress.com/SII/SII-BrowseJournal.php for more information. Most recent issue is available at
International Press and Tsinghua University Mathematical Science Center are pleased to announce open online access (free of charge) to the journal Statistics and Its Interface (SII) which includes five volumes.
C. Upcoming ICSA Meetings
Please find below a list of upcoming ICSA meetings. This list also appeared on the ICSA website. Meetings not included in our list are not authentic ICSA meetings. If you have any questions, please contact Gang Li, the ICSA Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. 2017 ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium
June 25 - June 28, 2017, Chicago, Illinois
Contact: Dr. Lanju Zhang ( Lanju.email@example.com )
2. 2017 ICSA China Conference: with focus on lifetime data
July 2 - July 5, 2017, Jilin, Jilin Province
Early bird registration deadline is May 2. All invited speakers are required to register by May 28. The registration website is:
For more information about the meeting, please visit the website http://sta.jlu.edu.cn/icsa-2017/
3. 2018 ICSA China Conference
July 2- July 5, 2018, Qingdao, Shandong
2018 ICSA China Conference will be held on July 2-5, 2018 at Hyatt Regency Qingdao, 88 Donghai East Road, Qingdao, Shandong, China. This conference is co-sponsored by Ocean University of China. For more information, please contact Professor Gang Li of UCLA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. Upcoming Co-Sponsored Meetings
Please find below a list of upcoming ICSA co-sponsored meetings. This list also appeared on the ICSA website. Meetings not included in our list are not authentic co-sponsored meetings. If you have any questions, please contact Gang Li, the ICSA Executive Director ( email@example.com).
1. The 10th International Conference on Multiple Comparison Procedures (MCP Conference 2017)
June 20 - 23, 2017, Riverside, CA
For more information, please click here.
2. 10th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR 2017)
July 3 - 6, 2017, Grenoble, France
For more information, please visit the website http://mmr2017.imag.fr/
Contact: Olivier Gaudoin, Professor at Grenoble INP, Universite Grenoble Alpes, France at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The 7th IMS-FIPS Workshop
July 27-28, 2017, University of Maryland in Baltimore County (UMBC), Baltimore, Maryland
For details, see http://www.umbc.edu/circ/hosting/IMS-FIPS2017/ .
Contact: Professor Tze Leung Lai, email@example.com.
4. Conference on Frontiers of Big Data and Statistical Sciences: organized by ICSA Canada Chapter
August 18 - 20, 2017, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5. 24th Meeting of the Biopharmaceutical Applied Statistics Symposium (BASS XXIV)
October 23-27, 2017, Hotel Indigo Savannah Historic District, Savannah, GA.
The BASS XXIV will be held on 23-27 October 2017, at the Hotel Indigo Savannah Historic District - Savannah, GA. One-hour tutorials, on diverse topics pertinent to the research, clinical development and regulation of pharmaceuticals, will be presented on 23-25 October 2017, by speakers from academia, the pharmaceutical industry and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). For the first time, BASS will offer a poster session. Two parallel, two-day short courses will be presented on 25-27 October. Popular features of BASS are the Keynote Address, Reception Dinner and the FDA/Industry/Academia session.
BASS is a nonprofit entity established to support graduate studies in biostatistics. BASS has supported over 50 Master's or Doctorate degree graduate students in Biostatistics. For further information, contact the BASS registrar at Rewhitworth@gmail.com, BASS Chair Tony Segreti, 919-417-5181, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The BASS Webpage may be viewed at www.bassconference.org .
E. JOB LISTINGS
1. A full-time/visiting faculty position at National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
The Department of Applied Mathematics at National Sun Yat-sen University invites applications to fill a full-time/visiting faculty position (subject to the approval by the University) beginning February 1 or August 1, 2018. Recent PhDs with exceptional potential at the rank of assistant professor and/or internationally well-established senior candidates at the rank of associate or full professor will be considered. A successful candidate must have a doctorate in mathematics or statistics, and should have strong research record and excellence in teaching. All areas of mathematics, applied mathematics, scientific computing and statistics will be considered.
Interested applicants should send, by October 10, 2017, a cover letter of application, curriculum vitae, transcripts, research summary, and reprints to
Department of Applied Mathematics, National Sun Yat-sen University,
Kaohsiung 804, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Applicants should also arrange at least three letters of recommendation which should be sent directly to the above address.
The instruction language is Mandarin and the ability of teaching in Mandarin is therefore required.
2. Sr. Statistician, Celgene Corporation, Berkeley Heights, NJ
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, and spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Actively provide statistical support to the Clinical R&D Department.
-Contribute to efficient study design, prepare statistical consideration sections and provide input into other protocol sections.
- Prepare statistical analysis plans including table shells.
- Analyze clinical trial data; work with programmers to provide tables, listings and graphs, including ad hoc validation.
- Review, synthesize, interpret and report analysis results.
- Provide ad hoc data driven analyses.
- Provide statistical input for the preparation of final study reports and other required documents.
- Support preparation of manuscripts.
- Provide statistical support for integrated reports, submissions preparation, and post-submission activities.
- Provide project requirements to programmers
- Work closely with different departments in the company (regulatory, clinical, marketing, data management, health economics, etc.) and provide statistical support for a variety of functional groups.
- Manage outside CROs and consultants as needed.
2. Apply statistics modeling, text mining, and other latest techniques to efficiently extract relevant information from public sources or internal database. The extracted information will be further used in explorative analyses to assist clinical trial design or improve efficiency of clinical trial conduct and data analysis.
3. Explore and apply innovative approaches to solve real world problems and develop new methodologies or process.
4. Proactively seeks ways to gain broader experience/perspectives and focuses on a robust professional development plan Qualifications Ph.D. in Statistics or related fields with 2 plus years (or 5+ years for MS) pharmaceutical experience supporting clinical trials or computing experience for text mining.
- Ph.D. or MS. in statistics, text mining, machine learning, or related fields.
- Working experience in text mining or related areas is a plus
- Demonstrated skill in the analysis and reporting of clinical trials.
- Knowledge of statistical methodologies and statistical regulatory requirements.
- Strong knowledge of clinical trial design concepts and clinical drug development process
- Knowledge of statistical computing software (e.g. SAS, R, or WinBUGs).
- Knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience working in a team environment and a good team player.
- Self-motivated and good interpersonal, communication, writing and organizational skills.
- The level of position is negotiable
To apply, please click this link: http://adtrk.tw/XQakC.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
3. Open Rank Professor Position, Tenure Track, Duke University, Durham, NC
The Department of Statistical Science at Duke University invites applications for tenure-track appointments at any level, beginning in Fall 2017. Appointments will be made about the Quantitative Initiative at Duke. Preference will be given to candidates whose core statistical science research interests are complemented by applied and collaborative research interests in priority areas for the department, including macroeconomics and policy sciences, finance and business, genetics/genomics and neuroscience. Applicants whose interests interact with mathematics, computer science and the environmental sciences are also encouraged.
The Department is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research and education in contemporary statistical methodology. With leading strengths in Bayesian analysis, interdisciplinary applications and computationally intensive methods, the Department offers outstanding computational facilities and opportunities for interdisciplinary research. We currently have 20 regular rank faculty, 16 visiting, adjunct, and postdoctoral faculty, and over 100 graduate students. Beyond core research in theory and methodology of statistical and computational sciences, collaborative interactions exist with a range of Duke departments, institutes and centers, including the Information Initiative at Duke (IID), Duke Institute for Brain Sciences (DIBS), and Social Science Research Institute (SSRI). Complementary interactions involve long-standing associations with the Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute (SAMSI) and the National Institute of Statistical Science (NISS), and with institutes and companies around the US and worldwide.
The PhD program is complemented by our MS and BA/BS degrees in Statistical Science. See http://stat.duke.edu.
To apply, submit a letter, curriculum vitae, personal statement of research and teaching and names/letters from three references via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/7930 . Enquiries can be emailed to email@example.com. The application pool will remain open until the position is filled; screening will begin on December 1, 2016.
Benefits: benefits details located at hr.duke.edu .
Contact information: Nicole Scott, firstname.lastname@example.org
Duke University, located in Durham NC, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged. Individuals in dual career couples are encouraged to visit http://provost.duke.edu/faculty/partner/ , the website on Duke's Advantages for Faculty, for information on opportunities for dual career couples in the area and how the university can help.